I intended to make the River Cottage VEG recipe: Marinated Zucchini with Mozzarella but when I started frying the zucchini strips and they were taking way longer than 2 minutes a side to brown I had to think fast. My family was starving!
I lined a baking sheet with parchment and put the strips in the oven under the broiler. The result was my quick version of this delicious summer recipe. I served it with brown buttered gnocchi instead of bread as recommended in the cookbook.
Roasted Zucchini with Mozzarella
by Diane Balch
Based on the recipe: Marinated Zucchini with Mozzarella in River Cottage VEG by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
4 medium zucchini cut into thin strips
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 garlic clove minced
The juice and zest of one lemon
Fresh Basil or other herb minced
Salt & Pepper
12 mini mozzarella balls sliced
1) Mix about 1/4 cup of EVOO with the garlic clove and a little salt. Let sit.
2) Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3) Slice the zucchini. I used a mandolin. Lay the slices on the cookie sheets.
4) Brush the strips with the oil garlic mixture. Sprinkle Basil on the zucchini.
5) Roast strips under the broiler for about 20 minutes or until they soften and start to brown. While strips are browning slice the mozzarella balls.
6) When the zucchini is cooked plate it and drizzle some lemon juice on the strip along with a bit of the lemon zest. Top the zucchini with the mozzarella balls.
Serve on top of garlic and oil pasta, polenta or crusty bread.
As a member of this cooking group I have agreed not to print the recipes from this book unless they are published. We encourage you to get a copy of this cookbook.
Weekly Menu Plan:
Meatless Monday: Provencal Vegetable Soup
Tuesday: Pasta with Raw Tomatoes and Green Salad
Wednesday: Hot Dogs and Beans with Roasted Potatoes
Thursday: Grilled Sausage with Peppers/Onions and Italian Bread
Friday: Grilled Steak with Whole Foods Chimichurri rub, Grilled Corn and Roasted Tomatoes