I am writing this Monday night and we are bracing for a Nor'East here in New York. Our town is expecting 20 to 30 inches of snow fall tonight. It is not suppose to be icy, so I hope the power will stay on... we have a wood burning stove to keep warm.
This was definitely a day for a simple meal and nothing is quicker or easier to make than chicken breasts. I didn't even have to go to the grocery store for this dinner because I always keep chicken breasts in the freezer and a bag of onions in the basement.
I bet you have the rest of the ingredients too: mustard, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce... oh yes, and a little bit of white wine. We started buying boxed wine and it never seems to go bad. I keep a white wine box in the refrigerator mostly for cooking.
Well, enjoy this simple meal. This post will be live after the storm, so I hope you all were safe and warm.
Mustard & Onion Chicken Breasts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute entree gluten-free chicken onions mustard French winter
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1.5 to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon of Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
1) In a large skillet saute onions in 1 tablespoon of EVOO on medium high heat until they wilt.
Then add the garlic and let it cook for a minute, do not brown the garlic.
2) Add the Herbes de Provence saute for a minute. Then turn the heat up to high and add the wine. Stir and let it reduce for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.
3) Add the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper. Whisk these ingredients together lower heat and let the sauce simmer until it begins to thicken a little. Pour into a bowl and set it aside.
4) Rinse out the skillet and add 1 tablespoon of EVOO to the pan. Heat it on medium high heat until a drop of water sizzles in the oil.
5) Saute the salt and peppered chicken breasts for about 5 minutes per side covered or until the center temperature is about 160 degrees and the meat is no longer pink.
6) Pour the sauce over the chicken and warm it up in the pan by basting the breasts.
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice and a dark green vegetable.
Powered by Recipage