This post is sponsored by Bob's Red Mill. All opinions are my own.
We are visiting Lebanon with Food of the World this month, so when I was asked to review: Bob's Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook this Lebanese soup recipe caught my eye.
Lentil soup is a favorite in my house, especially during the early Spring when it still chilly outside but we feel like eating a lighter healthier dinner. I tend to make a rather simple lentil soup with a few carrots, onions, and celery, so this Mujaddara recipe really got me excited. It has cumin and mint along with spinach and Bob's Red Mill Brown Basmati Rice to make it a complete meal.
About a year ago I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, and I have not been very happy with the gluten-free products I have found. Most seem to be made with refined white rice flour and a lot nutritionally void fillers.
Bob's Red Mill Everyday Gluten-Free Cookbook has reminded me that there are many gluten-free, whole grains available. I just needed some recipes to get into using them. This cookbook has simple and tasty recipes for using familiar grains such as millet, and barley along with more unusual and extremely healthy grains like Teff and Amaranth.
I know that going grain free is very trendy right now, but there have been many studies for a long period of time that conclude that grains are important to our health. They help prevent disease by cleaning out our digestive system with fiber and they feed healthy bacteria in our digestive track, plus they are delicious and they really fill you up, satisfying our hunger so we are less likely to over eat. I highly recommend getting a copy of this cookbook and introducing more whole grains into your diet.
Mujaddara (Lebanese Lentil, Rice and Spinach Soup)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour or so
Keywords: entree soup/stew gluten-free vegetarian lentils Brown Basmati Rice Lebanese
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 3/4 cup of brown basmati rice
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups packed spinach leaves, trimmed and roughly torn
- 1/3 cup packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- Plain Greek yogurt
1) In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 6 to 8 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
2) Stir in rice, 2 tsp (10mL) salt, 1 tsp (5mL) pepper and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, leaving lid ajar, simmer for 25 minutes.
3) Stir in lentils, cover, leaving lid ajar, and simmer., stirring occasionally, for 30 to 35 minutes or until lentils and rice are very tender.
4) Stir in spinach, mint, lemon zest and lemon juice; cook, stirring once or twice, for 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with dollops of yogurt.