This is a funny time of year for local vegetables in the Northeast of the US. It really hasn't been warm long enough to grow anything.
You can still find local cabbage around because it lasts so long. We are literally at "the bottom of the barrel" when it comes to apples.
Local apples may be a little too bruised for eating raw, but they are still good for cooking.
To make this dinner all you have to do is fry up some sausage, cabbage, and apples in a large skillet, add a little bit of thyme and red wine vinegar... and you have a seriously tasty meal. Serve with bread, or over potatoes.
Sautéed Cabbage Apples & Sausage
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Keywords: saute entree gluten-free cabbage sausage apples
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
- 3 tablespoons of Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound of Sweet Italian Sausage chopped
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 small savoy or other cabbage, chopped
- 1 large apple peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Put 2 tablespoons of EVOO in a large skillet on medium high heat. Saute sausage until brown. Remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl.
2) De-glaze the pan with the vinegar. High heat, scrap bottom with metal spatula. Lower heat to medium high.
3) Add 1 tablespoon of EVOO and sauté cabbage until it wilts. About 3 minutes, cover it and stir frequently.
4) Add the apple and thyme stir until apple softens.
5) Return the sausage to the pan, mix until it is warm.
Serve with mustard, crusty bread, over boiled or mashed potatoes.