Our last fish recipe with French Fridays with Dorie, most are breathing a sigh of relief... but I am sad. The fish dishes we made together are some of my favorites.
I really have come to the realization that you might have to grow up eating fish to like it... which is so sad to me, because it is tasty, low calorie, and high in nutrition. I can't seem to convince people to eat more of it.
Of course, I made this in a slow cooker. I wouldn't want to disappoint my fellow Dorista's that I know take bets on if I will convert the week's recipe into a crockpot dish or not.
I don't make these fish dishes in a slow cooker just out of laziness. I hope to show people that fish can be easy to cook, and even if you live in an area that doesn't sell fresh fish, frozen fish can be tasty...
...which brings me to this recipe, which was not very tasty in it's original form. Even with pesto I found it flat. The little bit of ginger, just didn't do enough to add any complexity to the broth.
Our past French Friday's seafood soups had pastis, and fish broth, to give them umph. I like subtle flavors, but I just found this soup to be monotone until I added red pepper flakes, and saffron. I really think if it had cooked in white wine, the flavor would have been even better. My family and I enjoyed it, but we will return to our liquor laden fish stews in the future.
Slow Cooker Seafood Pot-au-Feu
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 6 to 8 hours on low
Keywords: slow-cooker soup/stew gluten-free fish seafood French
Ingredients (6 to 8 servings)
- 3 large potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 carrots chopped
- 1 leek chopped
- 4 scallions chopped
- 10 ounces of frozen boneless salmon
- 1 pound of bay scallops frozen
- 10 ounces mixed frozen seafood
- 8 ounces of sugar snaps strings removed
- 4 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches of saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- garnish: store bought or homemade pesto
1) Peel and chop potatoes. Put them in the microwave on high for 3 minutes before putting them in the slow cooker.
2) Layer the slow cooker with potatoes on bottom, then: carrots, leeks, scallions, salmon, bay scallops, mixed seafood.
3) Whisk together: chicken broth, ginger, salt, pepper, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, bay leaf and saffron. Pour over seafood.
4) Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until potatoes and vegetables are soft.
Garnish with pesto. Serve with crusty buttered bread.
Powered by Recipage
Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review.