With so many fresh vegetables available this time of year it is nice to make a vegetarian meal with these flavorful farm fresh finds.
This is a terrific quick and healthy weeknight dish that is open to variation. You could use brown rice, or quinoa instead of wild rice.
I haven't cooked wild rice in a long time so it was a nice change of pace for my family.
You can use any vegetable you find fresh and calling your name. My kids love broccoli, so much so, that we had to take a break from it until this summer because we were eating so much of it.
Experiment with your cheese selection too. I picked cheddar because I live in a cheddar area and it very easy to find it produced locally. Gruyere would be terrific too in this dish as would Gouda or any other semi-hard cheese that melts well.
Skillet Wild Rice with Broccoli Cheddar and White Beans
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: entree gluten-free vegetarian wild rice
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- 1 bunch of broccoli chopped
- 1 15 ounce can of white beans such as Navy or Cannellini
- 1/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese
1) Cook 1 cup of wild rice with 2 cups of broth of your choosing.
2) While rice is cooking in a large skillet add the EVOO, on medium high heat sauté the onions, broccoli and garlic. Add the garlic after the the onions and broccoli start to soften. You can speed up softening the broccoli by adding a tablespoon of water to the skillet and covering it for 2 minutes.
3) When vegetables are cooked add beans and heat through. Then add rice and mix well.
4) Sprinkle the cheese over the rice vegetable mixture and put the skillet under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until the cheese melts and begins to brown. Watch carefully.