It is summer and I find myself Dreaming in Cuban. No not just finally getting to read this great novel by Cristina Garcia but actually wanting to go to Cuba.
I never thought I would see the day that the US and Cuba normalized relationships. Cuba has become a romanticized place in my mind.
Forever suspended in time... 1950's glamorous casinos, famous mobsters, classic old American cars and the seductive beat of Cuban music.
I hope I get there sometime soon before it's charm becomes corrupted and Americanized by our big hotel chains.
For now I will indulge my fantasy of Cuba by biting into a Cuban Burger: know in Cuba as a Frita, probably because it served with shoestring french fries.
Looking at many recipes for this burger I discovered that Mexican Chorizo sausage contains many of the seasonings that are in a Cuban Burger. Since a Frita is basically a beef and pork burger I just mixed my beef with chorizo sausage.. no other seasoning required. By using frozen french fries this became a really quick version of a Cuban Burger that can be made any day of the week. Make sure you get Mexican Chorizo, Spanish Chorizo is too hard.
Check out the other Cuban recipes shared with members of Food of the World. We welcome you to join us next month by signing up on our mailing list.
We will be visiting Aruba on August 11th.
Please visit their blogs and follow their sites!
Cuban Burger (Frita)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: grill entree beef pork potatoes chorizo Cuban summer
Ingredients (4 - 6 burgers)
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 12 ounces of Mexican Chorizo sausage casing removed, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 4 to 6 Kaiser rolls
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- Shoestring French Fries
1) Prep grill or heat a skillet.
2) Crumble up the chorizo in a medium size bowl. Add the beef (salt and pepper it) and mix the sausage and beef together.
3) Divide meat up into either 4 large patties or 6 smaller ones. Make a thumb print in middle to help the burger have room to expand.
4) Cook burgers to your liking and top with ketchup, red onion, lettuce and french fries.
Powered by Recipage