Are you knee deep in zucchini? Tired of making zucchini bread? Try adding a few Asian spices to your garden zucchini.
To me zucchini or Summer squash only tastes good in the Summer. But when it blooms... it blooms and blooms.
I tend to prepare it Italian style with red onion, garlic and a little bit of tomato paste. This gets tiring, so I traded in my Italian seasoning for some Five Spice Powder and soy sauce.
The result was a big hit with the family. This Spicy Asian Zucchini goes really well with grilled salmon or swordfish. Terrific with Asian style chicken or pork too.
Spicy Asian Zucchini
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute side gluten-free vegetarian zucchini Chinese summer
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/8 red pepper flakes
- 4 zucchini yellow and green halved and chopped
- 1 red onion halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 dash of Five Spice Seasoning
1) Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat.
2) Saute onions until soft. Add red pepper flakes and zucchini.
3) When zucchini starts to soften splash it with soy sauce and the five spice mix.
4) Cook until onions and zucchini begin to brown. You may want to add a little salt and pepper. Taste first.