I always keep a can of coconut milk in my pantry now. You can mix it with fish, chicken, pork or beans and make a tasty meal in no time.
I had some extra spinach that needed to be cooked, so I looked around in the cupboard and found a can of black-eyed peas and coconut milk and thought... this is dinner!
I find that coconut milk really makes a vegetarian meal satisfying because of it's fat content. This dish is also filled with healthy and fiber rich beans and vegetables.
Spicy Coconut Blackeyed Peas with Carrots & Spinach
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: saute entree vegetarian gluten-free coconut milk blackeye peas summer
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped small
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 pound of carrots chopped or use baby cut carrots
- 3 1/2 ounces of baby spinach
- 1 13.5 ounce can of coconut milk unsweetened
- 1 15 ounce can of black-eyed peas liquid and all
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- salt and pepper
1) Whisk coconut milk with saffron, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, curry power and salt and pepper. Set aside.
2) In a large skillet heat the oil on medium high heat. Saute the onions and carrots (Cover for a minute or two to soften the carrots). When they start to wilt add the garlic and sauté. Do not brown garlic. Add a little salt to the vegetable before you cook them.
3) Add spinach, black eyed peas and coconut spice mixture. Heat through until spinach wilts.
Serve over rice.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: School shopping dinner at the mall (ugh)
Tuesday: Japanese Omurice with Shrimp and Green Salad
Wednesday: Pork Ribs in the slow cooker with a bottle of barbecue sauce served with Cole Slaw and Corn on the Cob
Friday: Grilled Chicken with Whole Foods Spice Rub, Farmers Market vegetables Grilled and Rice
Saturday: Garlic German Sausage Grilled with Fennel and Greens Salad and Potato Salad