I finally got tired of spending $4's for a container of fresh granola. I've always know that it is very inexpensive to buy your own rolled oats and make granola yourself.
It turned out that coming up with a homemade granola recipe is a little more challenging than I thought. I didn't realize that you need to turn the granola often while it is cooking or the edges will brown too much. Over cooked granola is really not tasty.
I also didn't realize that you need to turn the granola often while it is cooling or it will turn into hard chunks. It will also stick to your baking pan. It is very important to use a baking mat or parchment paper even it your baking sheet is non-stick. I learned this the hard way...hours of soaking and scrubbing my non-stick tray trying to remove stuck on granola.
I also played a lot with sweeteners. Most recipes for granola that I looked at required both honey or maple syrup and cane sugar. I figured out a mixture that I think is sweet enough that doesn't contain any white cane sugar.
Play around with the additions. You can substitute any dried fruit for the cranberries. Keep or take out the pumpkin seeds. Walnuts can be replaced by almonds or any nut you choose. This is the beauty of homemade granola you get to save money, and have a mix that is just to your taste.
Maple Granola with Cranberries, Pumpkin Seeds & Walnuts
Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes
Keywords: breakfast rolled oats
Ingredients (16 servings (1/4 cup a serving)
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
1) Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
2) Line a rimmed baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
3) Mix oats, salt, oil, and maple syrup together in a large mixing bowl.
4) Spread mixture over the baking sheet.
5) Bake for 15 minutes before turning the mixture. Make sure you get the edges mixed into the granola so it cooks evenly. Do this step in 15 more minutes.
6) If the granola is not light brown after 30 minutes of cooking. Check it every 5 minutes until it is golden, not brown. Keep turning it.
7) When you remove the granola from the stove use a spatula to turn it well. Add pumpkin seeds, cranberries and walnuts to the granola. Turn it every 5 minutes until it cools, so it will not become chunky.
8) Store in a air tight container for up to a month.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Salmon rubbed with Moroccan Seasoning Mix (McCormicks), Quinoa, Asparagus
Meatless Monday: Seasonal Mushrooms Sauteed in Butter over Egg Noodles with a Green Salad
Tuesday: Chickpeas, Peas, and Carrots mixed with Trader Joe's Green Curry Sauce over Brown Rice
Wednesday: Chicken Tacos made with Trader Joe's Taco Mix, with Guacamole, Sour Cream and Mexican Cheese
Thursday: Armagnac Chicken with Potatoes, Carrots, and Celery
Friday: Passport Pasta
Saturday: Birthday Dinner at BBQ restaurant