Mushroom Fun Facts:
- Mushroom's DNA is more like ours than plants.
- Mushrooms make vitamin D from the sun like we do.
- The largest organism in the world is a mushroom.
But most of all mushrooms taste good and they are in season now. So hop over to your local farmer's market and buy a selection of whatever they have...they all taste good. Get a few chanterelles because they are exceptional, but oh so expensive.
I really think it is best to eat mushrooms in a simple dish so you can really enjoy their flavor. You can't get more simple than sauteing some in butter and oil and pouring them over some egg noodles.. pure mushroom heaven.
Mushrooms in a Butter Sauce over Egg Noodles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
- 1 pound of assorted fresh mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed, chopped
- 12 ounces of wide egg noodles
- 1 stick of butter
- 4 tablespoons of Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh sage minced
1) Put a large sauce pan of well salted water on to boil for the pasta.
2) While the water is boiling on medium-high heat put a large skillet on with the oil in the pan.
3) Make sure the oil is hot before adding the mushrooms. Do not move or salt them for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes toss them around in the skillet salting and cooking until they are browned.
4) Just before the pasta is ready add the butter and sage to the mushrooms. Heat until butter melts. Mix well. Don't do this too early or the mushrooms will absorb too much of the butter.
5) Add the cooked noodles to the mushrooms. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Pancetta Comtè Quiche with Green Salad
Meatless Monday: Trader Joe's Indian Meals with Brown Basmati rice.
Tuesday: Chicken Tacos with Trader Joe's Taco Mix, Guacamole, Sour Cream and Cilantro Rice
Wednesday: Breaded Tilapia with Roasted Potatoes and Garlic Broccoli
Thursday: Tuna White Bean Pasta Salad
Friday: Spicy Crabcakes with Cole Slaw