Gnocchi roughly translates from Italian to mean "knob in wood". Some types of Gnocchi are a bit knobby looking, especially homemade versions.
When I was a kid I spent hours with my grandmother folding individual Cavetiellis which are the Southern Italian version of Gnocchi. Now I just buy them in the grocery store. They aren't filled with the love of my grandmother, but they taste pretty good.
The sauce for the Gnocchis is a traditional Broccoli Rabe and Pancetta made with lots of garlic and olive oil. It is important to sprinkle parmesan cheese on this dish in order to off set the bitterness of the broccoli rabe.
This recipe has such a classic old world flavor that I hope you will enjoy.
Broccoli Rabe Pancetta and Gnocchi
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: entree Gnocchi Broccoli Rabe Pancetta Italian
Ingredients (4 to 6 servings)
- 4 ounces of Pancetta chopped small
- 1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon or more of red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch of Broccoli Rabe chopped
- 1/4 cup of white wine
- 1 pound of Gnocchi
1) In a large sauce pan bring salty water to boil for the gnocchi.
2) In a large skillet on medium-high heat cook the Pancetta in the EVOO until it lightly browns.
3) Add the red pepper flakes and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Do not brown the garlic but let it cook with the red pepper for a few minutes so it's flavor blooms in the oil.
4) Add the broccoli rabe to the skillet and pour the wine over it. Sprinkle it with salt and pepper and cover the skillet for 2 minutes to let it steam. Cook until the broccoli rabe is to your liking.
5) Shut off the heat. Mix the broccoli rabe with the pancetta and let it sit covered until the gnocchi is cooked.
6) Mix the cooked gnocchi along with the Parmesan cheese with the rest of the ingredients in the skillet. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Sausage Polenta with Broccoli Rabe
Meatless Monday: Peppers and Eggs Skillet Casserole with Rustic Bread
Tuesday: Fish Sticks, Tater Tots with Green Beans and homemade Tartar Sauce
Thursday: Creamy Farfalle with Salmon & Peas
Friday: Spinach Garlic Cannoli Beans over Brown Rice based on Scarole and Beans
Saturday: Split Pea Soup and Rustic Homemade Bread