I find the transition from Winter to Spring difficult. The damp, windy weather this time of year is depressing. You want to lighten up your cooking, but it is still cold outside. I find vegetarian soups the best for warming you up, and at the same time lightening you up.
Red Lentil Barley Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: soup/stew vegetarian lentils barley
Ingredients (6 to 8 servings)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 small minced onion
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of dried red lentils
- 1 cup of pearl barley
- 1 13.5 ounces can of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon of minced ginger
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- garnish: plain yogurt
1) Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium high. Saute the onions until they wilt.
2) Add the garlic, curry powder, cayenne pepper and salt and pepper. Stir constantly. Cook for 1 minute.
3) Add the tomato paste stir constantly, and cook until it begins to brown.
4) Add the lentils and barley, stir and cook for 1 minute.
5) Add the broth. Bring it to a boil. Stir regularly. Reduce heat to a simmer after 1 minute.
6) Continue to stir the soup every 10 minutes or so, leave simmering with the lid on for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the lentils and barley soften.
7) Add the coconut milk, ginger and cilantro. Turn off heat. Let sit for a few minutes before serving with a dollop of yogurt in each bowl of soup.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Pasta Fagioli
Meatless Monday: Simple Black Bean Enchilada
Tuesday: Fish sticks, Mixed frozen vegetables with butter, homemade tartar sauce
Wednesday: Fresh Tuna Burgers with Ginger & Cilantro (I make this with canned tuna)
Friday: Pulled Beef (made by slow cooking 3 pounds of beef chuck with 1 bottle of barbecue sauce) Brioche Buns, store bought cole slaw.