My son was so sick last week I needed to put a pot of chicken soup on for him. I had left over broccoli rabe and a half of a red pepper, so I added a can of white beans and made an Italian soup.
I also used Arborio rice which gives soup a nice thickness, but please don't feel restricted by this recipe at all.
Soup is best when it is an opportunity to use up wilting or leftover vegetables and meats. So, experiment and stay well.
Slow Cooker Italian White Bean Chicken Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours on low
Keywords: slow-cooker soup/stew chicken Italian winter
Ingredients (10 -12 servings)
- 1 tablespoon of Extra-Virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1/2 of a red pepper minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning Mix
- 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 64 ounces of chicken broth
- 15.25 ounce can of Cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup of Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 cup of broccoli rabe chopped
- 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breast shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
1) Put all of ingredients in a large slow cooker, mix well.
2) Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
3) Before you are ready to eat the soup remove the chicken breasts and shred them with a fork. Return meat to the soup.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Smoked Salmon Pasta Verde
Meatless Monday: Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Homemade Rustic Bread
Tuesday: Fish Sticks, Tator Tots, Green Beans with Homemade Tartar Sauce
Wednesday: Chicken Tacos with Trader Joes Taco Mix, Guacamole, Sour Cream & Mexican Cheese
Thursday: Italian Sausage, Fried Polenta & Spinach
Saturday: Fritatta with homemade bread