To me Fricassee was an expression not a dish. "I'm going to Fricassee you!" was a not uncommon threat from my mother. Little did I know that Fricassee is a classic French dish of fried meat in a white sauce.
This is a simple Fricassee because I cheated by using frozen vegetables. You only need to brown the meat and the rest is easy. The taste is sophisticated enough to serve to adults, but kids will not be frightened by it because the seasoning is mild, the vegetables are common, and it's CHICKEN in a creamy sauce! What's not to love? So make this dish the next time you are feeding a mixed crowd.
Simple Chicken Fricassee
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Keywords: saute entree chicken French
Ingredients (4 -6 servings)
- 3 pounds of chicken thighs
- 4 or more tablespoons of butter
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
- 16 ounces of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
1) In a large skillet, on medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and saute the chicken 8 minutes per side or until skin is crisp. Remove chicken from skillet set aside.
2) Add two tablespoons of butter to the skillet. With a metal spatula scrape any chicken bits from the pan. Add shallots, garlic, poultry seasoning and salt and pepper, saute until they get soft.
3) Add flour to the pan and continue to scrape the bottom with the spatula. Cook the flour until it beings to get golden, smells nutty.
4) Turn the heat up to high and add the wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan and mix in the flour with the wine. When the wine beings to bubble turn the heat down to medium and let the sauce thicken while you continue to scrape and mix the flour into the wine.
5) Whisk in the heavy cream. When the cream begins to bubble add the vegetable. Continue to stir them until they defrost about 2 minutes.
6) Nestle the chicken into the pan and put a lid on the skillet. Let the chicken cook for about 3 minutes or until the internal temperature is 170 degrees.
Serve over rice or buttered egg noodles.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Cholent Stew
Meatless Monday: French Egg Drop Soup
Wednesday: Tilapia instead of Skate with Capers, Cornichons, and Brown Butter Sauce with Couscous and Swiss Chard
Thursday: Tomato Greens & Chickpea Skillet with Rustic Bread
Saturday: Sicilian Tuna Pasta with a Green Salad