After eating copious amounts of meat over Memorial Day Weekend my family and I are giving our systems a break. This Harissa Chickpea dish is flavorful enough that you won't miss having meat in your meal.
Canned tomatoes, chickpeas and frozen peas... you can keep the ingredients for this dish on hand and make it after any busy weekend when you don't have time to get to the grocery store.
The key seasoning is Harissa a Middle Eastern spice mix that can be found as both a paste and a powder. The paste is more intense in flavor, so if you are using it for this dish, put in a little at a time to see how much you prefer.
Harissa Chickpeas are delicious served over brown basmati rice or any rice of your choosing. Couscous would work really well too. Don't forget to garnish this with a dollop of plain yogurt, it really adds a richness to the meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: entree gluten-free vegetarian chickpeas
Ingredients (4 - 6 servings)
- 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion chopped
- 28 ounces of diced tomatoes canned
- 29 ounces of chickpeas canned
- 1 tablespoon or more of Harissa powder (Frontier)
- 1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish: plain yogurt
1) In a large skillet heat the oil on medium-high saute the onions until they soften.
2) Add the tomatoes, harissa and salt and pepper. Turn the heat up to high. Stir continuously until tomatoes reduce a little and start to brown, about 2 minutes.
3) Turn heat down to medium and add the chickpeas and cilantro. Warm through about 1 minute and then serve over rice or couscous. Put one dollop of yogurt on each serving.
Powered by Recipage
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Chipotle Chicken Corn Tostadas
Meatless Monday: Koshari Egyptian Lentils, Pasta, & Rice
Tuesday: Shrimp with Spinach in Trader Joe's Green Curry Sauce over White Rice
Wednesday: Hot Dogs and Baked Beans with Roasted Potatoes and Salad
Friday: Chicken Stir Fry with leftover vegetables and Trader Joe's General Tso's Sauce
Saturday: Market fresh fish and vegetables with Trader Joe's Harvest Blend grain mix