I’ve had shares in CSA’s in the past and especially with kids trying to find creative things to do with your four pounds of kale can be daunting. But now that we are not around enough in the summer to keep a garden; I have been trying to figure out ways to enjoy fresh local produce more.
There is alternative to direct membership in a single farm. A company called Field Goods serves (in New York State: the Albany area to the Hudson Valley) provides fruits, vegetables, bread and cheese from small farms in the region.
The week before I received my delivery I was email the most likely list of items I would be getting along with links for recipe ideas… this was great for meal planning.
Garlic Chicken with Mozzarella & Mint Pesto
preparation 20 minutes serves: 4
4 chicken breasts
garlic rub (garlic powder, Italian seasoning mix of choice and salt & pepper)
4 slices of mozzarella
1 bunch of herbs (mint, basil, parsley, tarragon all work)
extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 bunch of baby spinach
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1) Puree herbs in a food processor or blender, equal parts herb to EVOO add a pinch of salt.
2) Heat a cast iron skillet on medium high heat add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3) Rub chicken with garlic mixture.
4) When skillet is hot cook chicken about 4 minutes per side or until no longer pink in center.
5) While the chicken is cooking heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in pan and add spinach with a pinch of salt. Cook until spinach wilts, then add lemon zest, mix.
6) When chicken is cooked put a slice of mozzarella on each piece and transfer skillet to oven. Broil for about 3 minutes or until mozzarella melts well and gets a little brown.
7) Plate chicken on top of spinach. Serve with rice, potatoes, or bread.