I intended to make the River Cottage VEG recipe: Marinated Zucchini with Mozzarella but when I started frying the zucchini strips and they were taking way longer than 2 minutes a side to brown I had to think fast. My family was starving!
I lined a baking sheet with parchment and put the strips in the oven under the broiler. The result was my quick version of this delicious summer recipe. I served it with brown buttered gnocchi instead of bread as recommended in the cookbook.
Roasted Zucchini with Mozzarella
4 medium zucchini cut into thin strips
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 garlic clove minced
The juice and zest of one lemon
Fresh Basil or other herb minced
Salt & Pepper
12 mini mozzarella balls slicedDirections:
1) Mix about 1/4 cup of EVOO with the garlic clove and a little salt. Let sit.2) Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3) Slice the zucchini. I used a mandolin. Lay the slices on the cookie sheets.
4) Brush the strips with the oil garlic mixture. Sprinkle Basil on the zucchini.
5) Roast strips under the broiler for about 20 minutes or until they soften and start to brown. While strips are browning slice the mozzarella balls.
6) When the zucchini is cooked plate it and drizzle some lemon juice on the strip along with a bit of the lemon zest. Top the zucchini with the mozzarella balls.
Serve on top of garlic and oil pasta, polenta or crusty bread.