We just had a serious bout of freezing weather here in New York. My family and I needed a hearty soup to warm us up. There is really bad cold going around too, so I decided to make a soup that contained vitamin C rich cabbage and vitamin A rich kale to give our immune systems a boost.
This is a really simple soup to put together and it is versatile too. Use any wilting dark green that is in your fridge instead of kale and it still will be great. Swiss chard, collard greens, and spinach all work really well.
You can also throw in any leftover meat you have on hand: sausage, ham, any type of salami works well in this soup. The addition of meat really kicks up the flavor of this soup. I really like how economical and healthy this meal is to put on the table.
Cabbage Soup: White Bean & Kale
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small head of cabbage chopped
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 15 ounce can of Great Northern White Beans or Cannelini
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 6 ounces or so of dried salami chopped small (I used Sopressata)
- 1/4 cup of flat leaf parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste